conquer, overcome, overthrow, defeat, beat, subdue
conquer ： 侧重战胜和控制。书面用词。
overcome ： 多指战胜或克服非物质的东西，如困难和不良习惯等。语气较弱也可指在斗争或竞争中战胜或压倒对方。
overthrow ： 指彻底击败对手，使其丧失力量和地位。
defeat ： 普通用词，多指在战争、比赛、竞选或辩论中战胜对手，侧重胜利的暂时性。
beat ： 口笔语均可用，可与defeat换用。
subdue ： 正式用词，与conquer同义，但强调失败后的臣服状态;也可用作借喻，表克制、压抑感情、欲望等。
conquer your nerves/fear
1. Having identified the problem, the question arises of how to overcome it.
2. I would overcome any weakness, any despair, any fear.
3. With repeated applications of weedkiller, the weeds were overcome.
4. These difficulties have been overcome without detriment to performance.
5. He was then overcome by a terrible fit of coughing.
6. She will need medical help and counselling to overcome the tragedy.
7. The government had to overcome isolationist opposition to the plan.
8. Molly had fought and overcome her fear of flying.
9. Other subjects covered included nerves and how to overcome them.
10. The night before the test I was overcome by fear and despair.
11. Some hearing-impaired children may work harder to overcome their handicap.
12. Something gave me the strength to overcome the difficulty.
13. I was overcome with bashfulness when I met her.
14. Western officials say the problem is minor, and should be quickly overcome.
15. I then realized how possible it was to overcome your limitations.
1. They feared that totalitarians might yet conquer the entire world.
2. They became overheated nationalists, militarists, and they were out toconquer.
3. I was certain that love was quite enough to conquer our differences.
4. Garland tried to appear casual, but he couldn't conquer his unease.
5. He is having therapy to conquer his phobia.
6. How can I conquer my disinclination to meet people?
我怎样才能克服不愿与人交往 呢 ?
7. There is always one thing to conquer [ overcome ] another .
8. Once untied, we common people are able to conquer nature, too.
9. Will can conquer habit.
10. When will scientists conquer the stars?
科学家什么时候能征服恒星 呢 ?
11. Man will conquer nature.
12. Our purpose is not only to conquer nature but also to remake nature.
13. But Jason showed that he was able to conquer his fears.
14. Einstein lived not to conquer or destroy, but to understand.
15. Sennacherib's grandson Assurbanipal did actually conquer Egypt in 670 BC.